When: Feb 20th, 6PM - Feb 22nd, 12PM, 2015
- Fri, 2/20 6PM - 7PM: Hackathon Kick-off
- Fri, 2/20 7PM - 10PM: Hack the inWatch Z!
- Sat, 2/21 9AM - 10PM: Continue Hacking...
- Sun 2/22, 9AM - 12PM: Crunchtime!
- Sun 2/22, 12PM: Submit your Hack
- Sun 2/22, 1PM - 3PM: Judging & Presentations in Banatao Auditorium
Where: 3rd Floor Atrium, Sutardja Dai Hall, UC Berkeley
Who: Hackers from UC Berkeley and The Bay Area
Challenge: Participants will be hacking the InWatch Z Android SmartWatch to develop innovative and fun applications for wearable devices. Each participating team will be loaned an InWatch Z Smartwatch (Android 4.4 KitKat) to hack and develop a unique project over the course of a weekend. The #CampusInWatch Hackathon at UC Berkeley is part of a global hackathon occuring simultaneously at the following universities:
- University of California, Berkeley (USA)
- Instituto Tecnologico de Monterrey (Mexico)
- SPARKlab, Barcelona (Spain)
- University of Córdoba (Spain)
- Technological Park of Health (Granada)
Grand Prize: A trip for up to 3 team members to attend the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain from Mar 2-5, 2015 to compete against the winners from other countries. Airfare, lodging and registration will be all paid!
Meals, snacks and refreshments will be provided :-)
#CampusInWatch is presented by Global InDevices and InWatch USA, and co-hosted by the UC Berkeley CET Student Association, The Foundry at CITRIS and The Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS).
- Teams of 1-3 team members comprised of at least 1 UC Berkeley student may participate in the challenge. (Teams can be larger than 3 members, but winning teams will need to distribute the prizes)
- Hack must include the use of an InWatch Z Smartwatch (Android), which will be provided on loan to all hackathon attendees. Learn more about the InWatch Z Smartwatch at http://inwatchz.com/details.html
- Description of the hack
- Video or Images
- Functional Prototype
Finalists will be asked to present a brief pitch and demo.
$5,700 in prizes
A trip for up to 3 team members to attend the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain from Mar 2-5, 2015. Airfare, lodging and registration will be all paid for the winners!
Each runner-up team member (3 max) will receive an InWatch Z Android Smartwatch (http://inwatchz.com). Get your hands on one of the latest Android SmartWatches before it even hits the US Market!
Student Hacker Prize
A free semester membership for each student team member to the CITRIS Invention Lab (http://inventionlab.org) Get access to 3D printers, laser cutters, circuit board mills and tons of design and prototyping tools!
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
How to enter
- Register each individual team member using the "Register for this hackathon" button at the top of this page.
- Teams should be consist of 2-3 team members.
- Use the message button to recruit additional team members.
- Attend the Hackthon on the dates of the event!
CEO, InWatch USA
CEO, Band Industries
Francisco Garcia Moran
Chief IT Advisor, European Commission
Executive Director, Telecentre.org Foundation
President, CET Student Association
Hacks will be judged on their interesting and novel use of the sensors and processing onboard inWatch Z. The fact that the sensors and processors are located on your wrist makes entirely new and unique projects possible compared to a phone in your pocket.
Projects will be judged for design aesthetics and usability. Form is an important part of function.
Projects will be judged on its overall "fun-ness". The goal is to remind people that high tech can do more than keep you on time or ensure easy access to data. It can transform what we already enjoy and allow us to augment them in imaginative ways.